Heather Britt was deemed mentally disabled at the age of 18 due to Bipolar, Borderline Personality Disorder, etc. Heather was a beautiful girl who was taken advantage of and failed by so many. Heather was failed by every system at every level.
• Heather was told she could not be helped because there was no known treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder (Mental Health System FAILED)
• Heather was told at the age of 17 that she would more than likely become a substance abuser, incarcerated and die at an early age. Yet, physicians prescribed her Xanax and Opana (Healthcare System FAILED)
• Heather was told by the Social Security Administration she was not of sound enough mind to administer her own disability funds but was of sound enough mind to determine who was of sound enough mind to administer them; which resulted in her being taken advantage of by a slew of people who mishandled her funds (Social Security Administration FAILED)
• Heather sought treatment and was denied because providers would not accept Medicaid provided through her disability or would not accept her because they were not a dual diagnosis facility (Substance Abuse/Mental Health/Medicaid Systems FAILED)
• Heather was a victim of sex trafficking right from the Cumberland County Detention Center (Correctional System FAILED)
• Heather died of an overdose while others in the house knew she was in distress and no one called 911. With G.S.14-17(b)(2) stating her death is Second Degree Murder yet, no one has been charged in her death (Judicial System FAILED)
Heather is not the only one. Our children are being failed everyday. Our elected officials and leaders among organizations are past due! It’s past time they take notice, step up and get involved to work with us to prevent others from being failed. They all failed my daughter, Heather. NCPCC is fighting to prevent others from being failed.
Heather is the poster child of the desperate need for reforms in North Carolina. NCPCC will not sit idly by and allow this to continue to happen to our children.